Old April 27th 10, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default OT - Belgian Coast tram

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:47:14 +0100, Bearded wrote:

I know it's OT, but suspect some here will be interested in news of the
Belgian coast tram, De Kusttram.

[...]

We did the whole length both ways north from Ooostende to Knokke and
back, then south to De Panne /Andinkerke.

[...]

Stock is generally not ultra-modern, but a few years back was updated
with the installation of a low-floor centre car, and I think there are
some new low-floor cars, although we didn't see one.

I think they reinforce the fleet (during Summer months, I suppose)
with some low-floor trams from Ghent.

The most interesting thing about the stock, though, is that it has only
one driving position, so at the termini - and some intermediate stops,
the track loops round in a circle rather than changing ends.

Like many trams... I hesitate to say most, let's say that "original"
tramways are quite likely to have turning loops and the more recent or
light-rail style ones aren't.

[interesting stuff...]

But it did remind me of a certain bit of blonde foolishness here in
London - cancelling the Greenwich transit! Come on, Boris - we need it.

Be careful before you wish for the Belgian way! The Kusttram, as
impressive as it undoubtedly is, is just what's left of an *enormous*
inter-urban tram network. I think the second-to-last bit to close was
a section in Charleroi, which brings me to their scandalous splurge of
billions of BEFs in the eighties that left them with a half-arsed
light rail system that has a few branches that were built - completely
- and never used.

The central loop is being completed now (as is some more of Antwerp's
pre-metro) but the unfortunate consequence of wanting a metro, a sort
of reverse NIMBY, has been taking the trams off the streets, where
other cities have found them to be a sort of civilising influence, and
put them underground into a not very high frequency system that shuts
down early. Brussels' traffic and urban environment also suffered,
IMHO, in the drive to put the trams underground, but not as much.
Antwerp was improved by it, maybe as it was done most recently and
seems to have been implemented with more thought and probably money.

As others have said, Belgium is a fascinating, often pretty, always
curious and usually friendly place even before you consider the
advantages of fantastic food and beer. We should all go there as
often as possible!

Richard.