Old January 15th 04, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David B David B is offline

Default Fastest tube trains?

The best way to measure the speed is get a good GPS receiver - although its
use is obviously limited to surface sections. AFAIK the Picadilly line 1973
stock has a top speed of 45 mph. 60 mph on A60/62 Metropolitan line stock is
only achievable west of Harrow on the Hill.

"Iain" wrote in message
"Nes" wrote in
:

They get up to that speed in passenger service? I wouldn't really
know, as I haven't been as far Epping on 92TS. Last time I went that
far was on the old 62 stock.

Wouldn't surprise me if they do approach that speed. There's a portion of
the Central Line between Leyton and Leytonstone where the track runs
parallel to the A12, which is a 3-lane dual-carriageway with a 50mph limit
at that point. The trains usually run at about the same speed as, or
sometimes a little faster than, the middle-lane traffic, which is probably
sitting at about the 50mph limit.

Iain