Old May 2nd 10, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] Mait001@aol.com is offline

Default Waterloo Eurostar platforms and "The Railway Children"

Now, I don't want to be a killjoy, and the thought of the wonderful
story "The Railway Children" being recreated with a real steam engine
in central London fills me with joy (I only heard about it today) and
will certainly wish to see this spectacle at Waterloo Station. But, is
it right that one of London's busiest and most overcrowded stations,
where trains are regularly held up on entering and departing, due to
lack of platform space, should have part of its most valuable space
(which was originally "stolen" from the hard-pressed commuters in the
first place - by crowding together the other platforms and doing away
with the old carriage road) should be put to such use, when that space
is crying out to be used for more important purposes than
entertainment?

M.M.