Old May 2nd 10, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Barry Tom Barry is offline

Default A cut!

Chris Read wrote:
"Paul Corfield" wrote:

However we are clearly not in the halcyon days of about 7-8 years ago when
considerable
improvement was being made.

The days of living beyond our means, both in London and nationally, are
drawing to a close. Although you wouldn't think that from the promises being
made by our politicians - of all parties.

Chris

I have two problems with this:

a) the almost lascivious tone adopted by people who use it - hides the
issue, which is a drop in tax revenue caused by recession, not overspending
b) the lack of any appreciation that public subsidy and investment (say,
in public transport) is wealth *creating*, if done right. See East
London Line, Crossrail etc.

I notice, however, that Wrightbus of Northern Ireland are in line to
build another 84 double deckers in the bendy replacement programme for
this year's two routes alone, so the days of living beyond our means
aren't over for everyone, are they?

Quite apart from the £11.4m on five Borimasters no one can afford to crew.

Tom