Old May 5th 10, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default New East London Line report

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
th.li...
At last!

Bit late to the party, i know, but i went on it. It was very new, not very
busy, the trains were very quiet, and Dalston Junction station is HUGE.

Why is it so huge?

I expect they have planned the platform sizes to allow for the maximum flows
expected when the 16 tph service is running. Because only 8 tph will run
between there and Highbury and Islington, it will be the obvious place for
people to change when going 'southbound' - but may also be encouraged
northbound as well if the smaller stations (for example some of those on the
original ELL) start suffering platform level congestion due to changing
trains?

BTW, can anyone provide a link to a categoric statement on which of the four
sub-services will run through to Highbury, and which will terminate at
Dalston Junction? I see it has come up in the London Reconnections blog
without a quick answer...

And what are the plans for Shoreditch High Street (or as i like to call
it, Directly Opposite My Office On Commercial Street) - will the views to
the arches and pillars and other quite nice old bits of railway
architecture be maintained, or is the surrounding area going to be turned
into a tower block?

Seems it is planned to be submerged under tower blocks eventually.

Paul S