Old May 5th 10, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default New East London Line report

On Wed, 5 May 2010, wrote:

In article i,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

The stretch from Dalston to Shoreditch was oddly reminiscent of being
in New York; one of the elevated bits of ths subway (or the
Metro-North, perhaps) looking down over converted warehouses and so on.
The buildingscape is much more clean and cubic and less blobby and
random than the otherwise comparable stretch of the West Anglia line
from Hackney Downs to Bethnal Green.

Have you not been on the District West of Earl's Court?

Yes, now and then.

Quite a few viaducts with elevated running.

Also seen on the Northern north of Golders Green or wherever it is it
comes out of its tunnel. Those both run through low-rise, leafy suburbs,
and feel very London to me. They didn't have the surprising feeling of
blocky urbanism that Haggerston and Hoxton did. This is very much a
subjective impression, though!

From Putney Bridge to East Putney is probably most similar to what you
describe, though that viaduct is narrower, having always been only
double track.

Ah, now that i think i haven't done. I'm not sure i've ever been on the
Wimbledon branch of the District.

tom

--
Gotta treat 'em mean to make 'em scream.