Old May 13th 10, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] dc@blunder.co.uk is offline

Default Speak of the Devil

On Thu, 13 May 2010 00:42:25 -0700 (PDT), Standing at HN28 signal
wrote:

On 12 May, 23:15, Bruce wrote:
On Wed, 12 May 2010 22:31:37 +0100, "Richard J."

wrote:

When you've finished whinging about the whingers on uk.railway (which is
not a group I subscribe to), perhaps someone could answer my question.

Apology accepted.

Most likely because running round would take too long so it needs to
be top n tailed by something. Class 20s rarely run solo as they are
quite low powered I believe.

They've managed with one class 20 in the past, but that was on the
Steam on the Met Days, so the 20 was only there for emergencies &
providing an air supply for the brakes.
(Fond memories of a Std class 4 tank + 20 thrashing away from Moor
Park southbound though..)

Sarah would indeed have problems running round at the terminal
station, but it has worked Push-Pull with a TC set before, in
connection with an even at Brunel University.
Since the loco lacks MU connections, when pushing there were two
drivers, one in the TC cab, controlling the brakes & Sarah's regular
guy in her cab. Even with a radio link between them, there were quite
a few for & aft moments at conductor rail gaps!

DC