Old May 15th 10, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Bus drivers' Big Red Book

On 15 May, 11:51, Paul Terry wrote:
In message
,
martin writes

Someone's put in a Freedom of Information request to TfL for the
manual issued to bus drivers, the Big Red Book, which I suspect will
be of interest to some people here.

Interesting to see the advice about stopping: "It doesn't matter what
kind of stop, or if the passengers put their hands out, if there's
someone waiting to board ... stop".

But it doesn't say how, at a stop served by multiple routes, the driver
can know if there's someone waiting to board the particular bus he or
she is driving!

Wasn't that the proposal a while back, which at first glance appeared
to be a recognition of the reality of the lack of distinction between
request and compulsory stops these days (ie drivers don't stop at any
of them unless you throw yourself in front of them), but equalised
them in the way suggested above, which didn't reflect reality after
all, and required drivers to stop at stops they didn't used to.

So is this book a kind of snapshot of a proposal that was never
implemented, or was it after all?

In any case, given the reality of timekeeping, we know that the need
to get the empty bus to its next checkpoint will override the need to
let anyone on the bus.