Old May 17th 10, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / newRoutemaster) unveiled

Garius wrote on 17 May 2010 17:58:16 ...
You're not getting 87 seats:

CAPACITY

Total Capacity: 87
Lower Deck: 22 seats (That total includes 4 priority seats and 6
preferential seats for passengers with restricted mobility) 25
standing.
Wheelchair Bays: 1
Upped Deck: 40 seats

DIMENSIONS

Length: 11.2m
Width: 2.55m
Height: 4.4m

From a quick measurement of a still from one of the videos, it looks to
me as if the wheelbase will be around 6.25m. So it will have a longer
body and a longer wheelbase than current London double-deckers, which
won't do much for its manoeuvrability in London's streets. Can someone
remind me in what way this design is particularly suitable for London?

Also, why is this to be *exclusive* to London? From today's publicity
(saying other cities will be "envious" etc.), it sounds as if TfL are
going to licence the design for London only. If it's such a good
design, why not let WrightBus sell it elsewhere, which would help to
bring down the production costs?
--
Richard J.