Old May 17th 10, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Gatwick - London: first time traveller needs advice

On May 17, 6:11*pm, Mizter T wrote:
[snip query from Jarle]

OK, first thing to say is that ticketing between Gatwick and London is
mindbendingly mindboggling!

[big snip]

There's all sorts of other weird and wonderful ticket combinations
that I could dream up for you, but there's not a lot of point! [...]

OK, I will just mention one - not because I'd recommend it, but
because someone else might come along and say 'aha, you missed this
one'!

There are cheap Advance fares available on Southern trains (but not
the Gatwick Express) between Gatwick and Victoria - if you buy them
from the Southern website, they are priced at £4.25, £6.40 and £8.50.
However they are for specified trains *only* - i.e. they can only be
used on the one specified train. I have used one in the past to get to
Gatwick when I was reasonably confident of our departure time (well, I
knew when the flight was supposed to be leaving!) and was also being
somewhat unusually hyper-organised (plus they were a bit cheaper then
- I paid £3). But they're no good after landing at Gatwick as you
never know exactly when the plane will land and just how long it'll
take to escape the airport.