Old May 17th 10, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Gatwick - London: first time traveller needs advice

In message
, at
10:11:17 on Mon, 17 May 2010, Mizter T remarked:
My annual London vacation is coming up, and this time I will be joined by a
friend who will arrive a few days later than me. This is his first visit to
London, so he is a bit nervous about travelling in the big city. We have
agreed to meet in a Central London station since travelling down to Gatwick
to meet him is deemed to expensive and time consuming. I haven't done that
journey myself, so can you advice on how to

- buy the correct ticket

It will be listed on the ticket machines at Gatwick - but not
necessarily on the first screen. Looking for the price, first, is often
easier than looking for the description.

- get on the right train

At Gatwick the trains are quite well signed and described on the
monitors. His train will be going to Bedford.

- get off at the right station

Once again, St Pancras (low level) is quite well signed and shouldn't be
a problem recognising. I suggest he then goes up the escalators and out
of the barriers and meets you in the vicinity of the Farmers Market.
You'll then be able to go down to the Northern Ticket Hall for the
Victoria Line.

He will be arriving at Gatwick Airport around 2pm on Monday June 14.

The railway station is attached to the South Terminal, and currently the
shuttle from the North Terminal is bustituted.

We are staying near Walthamstow Central. My research shows that the
cheapest fare is £17 return with FCC to St. Pancras, which is
convenient for the Victoria Line.