Old May 17th 10, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default Gatwick - London: first time traveller needs advice

Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
My annual London vacation is coming up, and this time I will be joined by a
friend who will arrive a few days later than me. This is his first visit to
London, so he is a bit nervous about travelling in the big city. We have
agreed to meet in a Central London station since travelling down to Gatwick
to meet him is deemed to expensive and time consuming. I haven't done that
journey myself, so can you advice on how to

A question for you. Will he have significant quantities of luggage with
him?

If he will, then that can change the picture somewhat. Many tube stations
have escalators and stairs but no lifts. Changing, in particular, can
involve lots of passageways with short flights of stairs.

There are lifts to the platforms at Gatwick, and I'm fairly sure there are
lifts from the FCC platforms at St Pancras. Are there lifts to the Victoria
line yet at KX St P?

I don't think there are any lifts onto the Victoria line at Victoria.
Trains arrive at street level there so you don't need a lift to get out of
the train. I can't remember how much of a walk there is. The Victoria line
northbound from Victoria is more likely to be busy than north from St P, so
there's more chance of finding a space to put luggage.

If you go to the journey planner on http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ and tell it you
want step-free access it'll give you a route - which may involve a bus
instead. (You can set a maximum walk time too but that doesn't take into
account the walk inside the station. There's a journey planner that
includes steps and station walk distances somewhere.

Theo