Old May 17th 10, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jarle H Knudsen Jarle H Knudsen is offline

Default Gatwick - London: first time traveller needs advice

On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:11:17 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T wrote:

OK, first thing to say is that ticketing between Gatwick and London is
mindbendingly mindboggling!

I agree.

You don't state when your friend is returning to Gatwick - note that
on many weekends (though not all) the FCC Thameslink route through
central London is closed - see the information on FCC's website he
http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/Main.php?iCmsPageId=64

We are flying back together early on Monday June 21 - plane takes off at
0910.

We plan to take the first tube from Walthamstow Central (0522) to Kings
Cross (0539) and then take either the 0602 or 0622 to Gatwick. I have never
been to that station complex. How much time should be allowed for changing
from the Victoria to FCC with potentionally very heavy luggage (depedning
on the amount of shopping carried out )?

We are staying at the Sleeping Beauty Motel at Bakers Arms / Lea Bridge
Road. How early do you think we should be at the bus stop outside the
hotel? "Planned engineering works are taking place" at some routes.

The Jouney Planner gives different results for "Bakers Arms / Lea Bridge
Road" and "Lea Bridge Road / Bakers Arms". I am not sure exactly what to
put into the planner to get buses serving stop EA which is right outside
the hotel. (See spider map
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...sarms-2157.pdf
..)

There's all sorts of other weird and wonderful ticket combinations
that I could dream up for you, but there's not a lot of point! Make
sure you both get Oyster cards, or otherwise buy Day Travelcards on
each day or indeed a weekly Travelcard depending on your proposed
travel patterns.

7 Day travelcards Zone 1-3 is the best option for us, especially since we
will start before 0930 on some days, with PAYG for the extra days and when
going to Downe [1] (yes, will remember to set OEP).

And enjoy yourselves!

Will do! Thanks!

(Lots of fun planned: Camden markets, concert at Barfly, The Comedy Store,
Notting Hill Market, The White Horse for the selection of beers, Wagamama,
museums, museums, and some more pubs

-----
[1] will travel back via Croydon for opportunity to check out the ELL

--
jhk