Old May 18th 10, 10:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Wood Lane roundel returns

"umpston" wrote in message

On 17 May, 22:26, "Paul Scott" wrote:
umpston wrote:
On 17 May, 16:04, "Recliner" wrote:
"umpston" wrote in message

(LUL engineering trains also usually have a
battery or diesel loco at both ends - this also means the train
can easily be reversed from locations where a crossover is not
available.)

Is it also the rule that both cabs must be manned? Whenever I've
seen an engineering train pass, both cabs of the battery locos
seem to be manned.

I don't know. What would be the point of such a rule? The
non-driving cabs might just be occupied by engineering staff
needing a lift to the work site.

There are many practical advantages to manning both cabs -
especially when you think how difficult it might be to get from one
end of the train to the other when underground away from stations,
for instance in reversing sidings. With normal trains the driver can
walk through all the cars...

Paul S

I see what you mean. I read Recliner's post as meaning both cabs of
each loco being manned.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant, as it's what I've observed, without
knowing whether it's mandatory, customary or just accidental. But
perhaps, as umpston suggests, they're actually engineering passengers
rather than drivers.