Old May 18th 10, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bruce[_2_] Bruce[_2_] is offline

Default Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new Routemaster) unveiled

On Tue, 18 May 2010 21:22:25 +0200, Neil Williams
wrote:

On Tue, 18 May 2010 13:37:29 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

That actually sounds quite sensible. If that was the case, I'm not
sure I have total confidence that the system for closing off the
platform would be reliable enough to be opened and closed quite so
frequently.

Why? All it would need to be is a pair of plug-sliding doors that
meet in the middle. It could even be manually operated.

If the platform edge was a straight line, I would agree. But the
images clearly show it as wrapping around into the rear of the bus, a
la Routemaster.

The point I was trying to make, but obviously failed, is that there is
a difference between something that is used at the start and end of a
day, and something that is used every trip. The former is quite easy
to arrange. The latter is more difficult, especially given the shape
of the rear platform.

Obviously, it isn't an insurmountable problem, but it can only add to
the already very high cost of the bus, which is beginning to look like
a classic example of design by committee.

(I'd get rid of those gratuitously expensive "swoops" for a start.
What are these people on?!?!)