Old January 18th 04, 12:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Heavy steel doors at Holborn

In message , Richard J.
writes
Kat wrote:

Have you heard/read anything about WW2 bomb damage at Mile End?
It was recently mentioned to me by someone who thought there was a
link on the BTP website but I can't find anything.

Go to
http://www.btp.police.uk/History%20S...story%20Societ
y/The%20history/A%20Time%20Line%20for%20Policing%20the%20Railways% 201900
%20-%201949.htm

and look at 24 September 1940: "During a night of heavy enemy bombing, Mile
End Underground Station receives a direct hit." No link to any more
details though.

Many thanks for that.
If you look at:
http://www.eastlondonhistory.fsnet.c...leEnd/pc39.htm
The building with the arches (part of the original station?) is still
there on Burdett Road.
I would really like to know more about what happened to the station
after the bombing if anyone knows.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.