Old January 18th 04, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Cooper 625 Nick Cooper 625 is offline

Default Heavy steel doors at Holborn

Kat wrote in message ...
In message , Nick
Cooper 625 writes
Kat wrote in message

[...]
At Bethnal Green too;

Everytime I got through any particular station and spot them, I mean
to include the detail in the web-page, but I usually promptly forget
afterwards, because methodically noting facts doesn't multi-task wekk
with "Commute Mode"!

I've taken pictures of the winding mechanism.

Are they on line anywhere, or if not, I know a very good web-site that
might be able to use them...

You're welcome to them.
I was hoping to get down there today and get some better ones but the
best laid plans etc.

Well, if you could e-mail me them, that would be great.

I'm currently wading through the wartime daily bombing reports for
"key points," sifting out all the LU-related railway incidents, which
is producing a mass of data not previously widely known, such as hits
and unexploded bombs at various depots. Also almost finished
identifying by name the vast majority of the wartime fatalities on LU
property, including - on an even more melancholic note - a certain
amount of myth-shattering r.e. Bounds Green.

Have you heard/read anything about WW2 bomb damage at Mile End?
It was recently mentioned to me by someone who thought there was a link
on the BTP website but I can't find anything.

That's another new one on me. Richard notes that the incident was on
24/09/40 , but in going through the daily reports, I began with the
volume that begins with October 1940, simply because most of the
incidents I wanted to chek up on were in that month or the November.
It was only then that it became apparent just how detailed the reports
are, so I just carried on from that point, rather than back-tracking.
Should be at Kew again on Saturday, though, and will see. The reports
detail not only "new" damage, but also whether previous bomb damage is
continuing to affect services, and as 01/10/40 reports - which actualy
covers 09:00 30/09 to 09:00 01/10 - doesn't mention Mile End, we can
probably assume that that was no longer the case, even less than a
week later.

Just as an example, the report for 01/10/40 reads:

- - - -

09:00 30/09 - 09:00 01/10/40

|H.E's |EALING COMMON Station|The bombs fell on the |
|0750 hrs |W.5. |PICCADILLY line. |
|30/9/40 | |Station closed. |
| | |Through trains running|
| | |on single line. |

GENERAL REMARKS: RAILWAYS

L.P.T.B.

The central line service between NORTH ACTON and EALING
BROADWAY has been suspended owing to damage to HANGER LANE
bridge.

The Metropolitan Line between KINGS CROSS and MOORGATE has been
suspended.

The service between ADDISON ROAD and LATIMER ROAD has been
suspended.

Railway Situation Report at 0800 hrs., 1st October, 1940.

L.P.T.B.

Northern Line. Service normal except:
Single Line working Hampstead - Camden Town (Damage Chalk
Farm Tunnell 27/9). Expect re-open 05.10.40.
No service Woodside Park to High Barnet (UXB 21/9)
Central Line. Service suspended Wood Lane - Ealing Broadway
(Damage Hanger Lane Bridge 28/9) and N.Acton Station closed
(date resumption not known).
Piccadilly Line. Closed between RUISLIP and UXBRIDGE (damage
H.E. on 30/9).
Bakerloo Line. Normal, except that Stanmore trains are
reversed at West Hampstead (Damage Kilburn Bridge 16/9).
District Line. Ealing Common Station re-opened 30/9.
Service suspended EALING COMMON - EALING BROADWAY (Damage
Hanger Lane Bridge 28/9). (Date resumption not known).
Metropolitan. Closed between:
Kings Cross and Moorgate (Damage H.E. 10/9 and 24/9),
expect to re-open Oct. 10th, amd Latimer Road-Addison Road
(25/9) expect re-open Oct. 1st. Closed RUISLIP - UXBRIDGE
(H.E. on 30/9).

Unexploded Bombs.

L.P.T.B.

1. Woodside Park 21/9. Serviced suspended
Woodside Park - High
Barnet.
2. Farringdon Cow Cross Street 24/9. Delay in clearance of
line.
3. Neasden Depot 18 road 24/9. Preventing use of South
end of yard.
4. Surrey Docks 24/9. Delay to repairs to
previous damage.
5. (Morden Depot 27/9. No interference.

- - - -

Inevitably, there was a lot of damage to tracks in the open, which was
a lot more disruptive than actual stations being put out of action.
Even so, very few of these incidents - even the Ealing Common hit -
get mentioned elsewhere. All the above is spread over four or five
pages, as it's mixed in with all the other railways around the
country, so it's a question of filtering out the LPTB-related stuff.
I'm still decided whether to just include the raw transcriptions on my
site, or to actually track each incident and do a summary on an
event-by-event basis.