Old January 18th 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Heavy steel doors at Holborn

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Kat wrote in message

Have you heard/read anything about WW2 bomb damage at Mile End?
It was recently mentioned to me by someone who thought there was a
link on the BTP website but I can't find anything.

That's another new one on me. Richard notes that the incident was on
24/09/40 , but in going through the daily reports, I began with the
volume that begins with October 1940, simply because most of the
incidents I wanted to chek up on were in that month or the November.

September 1940 is certainly worth researching, as it includes (according to
the BTP site) potentially LU-affecting bombs at Charing Cross, Marble Arch,
Mile End, Earl's Court, Blackfriars and Waterloo stations, a shot-down
German bomber that crashed on the forecourt of Victoria station, and
probably several incidents on the 28th ("Railways attacked across
Britain").

Are you also aware of the daily campaign reports on the RAF's Battle of
Britain site at http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/calendar.html? They include
some railway details.

The service between ADDISON ROAD and LATIMER ROAD has been
suspended.

[...]
Metropolitan. Closed between:
Kings Cross and Moorgate (Damage H.E. 10/9 and 24/9),
expect to re-open Oct. 10th, amd Latimer Road-Addison Road
(25/9) expect re-open Oct. 1st.

Interesting that you quote that particular "suspension", as AFAIK the line
from Latimer Road to Addison Road (now Kensington Olympia) was never
reopened.

--
Richard J.