Old January 18th 04, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default parking in South Kensington: advice needed!

Jon Squire wrote:
We will be visiting London from California in late June. We know it is crazy
to have a car in London, but for our last 24 hours, it would make our lives
a lot easier to have a car while staying in South Kensington for various
reasons. How difficult is it to find a parking place on the street? Is it as
bad as Manhattan, or do you just need to go around the block a couple times?
And is S. Kensington (by the Gloucester Rd. tube stop) considered within the
central district where the levee is assessed?

Thanks very much for your reply!

Jon S.
Berkeley CA

Street parking is extremely difficult since the maximum stay is usually
2 hours. However, most parking restrictions (including resident-only
parking) is lifted in evenings, on Saturday afternoons (after 1330) and
on Sundays all day.

Otherwise you will need to find off-street parking. There is a car park
just down and across from Gloucester Road tube station, at the junction
of Queen's Gate and Harrington Road. I can't remember the prices but I'm
sure it's pretty expensive. The other main option is Imperial College
which has (expensive) off-street parking (but less of it than usual
because of construction work).

Depending on where you are staying, the Young Street car park just off
Kensington High Street may be useful (although once again expensive) and
is about 10-15 mins' walk from Gloucester Road tube station.

The congestion charge zone does not include this area.

Given the difficulty of parking, if you are renting a car it may be
easier to talk to the car rental company about your requirements so you
don't have the car until you absolutely need it. There is an easyCar
rental place on Kensington High Street, which is 15 mins' walk, a 5-10
min bus journey or 5 mins (very variable) journey one stop on the tube
from Gloucester Road tube station.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7