Old July 14th 03, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew P Jones Matthew P Jones is offline

Default Information about Route 187

on Mon, 14 Jul 2003 -
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:29:03 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

What's silly about the TfL Journey Planner? It's certainly more useful than
a bus map or a set of route timetables for finding the quickest route from A
to B.

I find the whole thing impenetrable. It is user unfriendly - it took
over 10 attempts to identify the system's name for my local stop. Why
should I have to go to that sort of trouble? The same issue applies to
many stops across London where the road name or colloquial name for a
given location is not recognised by the planner even though the bus
timetable and bus blinds do show the name! The routes it plots are often
not very sensible IMO, of course. I don't think I'd make the effort to
use it if I was a motorist and contemplating using public transport
given how cumbersome it is to use.

The timetables are difficult to access and often wrong. I have raised
this with TfL btw. Other sources of easy to use information were also
removed from the TfL website when the Jny Planner was introduced and I
consider that to be a retrograde step as well considering the base
information is produced for other purposes - also raised with TfL.

I found it hard to use. I was looking for a route, but did not know the
area so had many many goes at trying to find what I wanted.

For buses they used to have route maps which I found very useful, the
"spider" maps are not very easy to understand.
--
Matthew P Jones - www.amersham.org.uk
My view of the Metropolitan Line www.metroland.org.uk - actually I like it