Old January 18th 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Rich Martin Rich is offline

Default parking in South Kensington: advice needed!

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:44:39 GMT, "Jon Squire"
wrote:

We will be visiting London from California in late June. We know it is crazy
to have a car in London, but for our last 24 hours, it would make our lives
a lot easier to have a car while staying in South Kensington for various
reasons. How difficult is it to find a parking place on the street? Is it as
bad as Manhattan, or do you just need to go around the block a couple times?
And is S. Kensington (by the Gloucester Rd. tube stop) considered within the
central district where the levee is assessed?

First, South Ken is outside the congestion charging area.

If it's Monday to Friday or Saturday morning, on-street parking for a
whole 24 hours is pretty much impossible as everything around there is
either residents only, or parking meters or pay-and-display with a 2
or 4 hour limit.

In parts of South Ken, including I think the bits around Gloucester
Road tube, you can park free on single yellow lines and on meters on
Saturday afternoons, and most on-street parking in London is free on
Sundays. Beware, though, that some residents' parking restrictions
areas apply either 24 hours or until 10pm.

My other observation is that if you don't know the geography, there
are some places where going round the block might necessitate driving
a long way to get back to where you started.

Martin