Old May 23rd 10, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Extended East London Line opens fully today

On May 23, 8:38*pm, Stephen Furley wrote:

On 23 May, 03:14, E27002 wrote:

Network Rails local radial routes "belong" to commuters. *The
Underground is the railway of Commuters and Tourists. *In many ways
the Overground system is London's railway for Londoners. *I hope in
time we will see further development. *I look forward to visiting
London and checking out the new system for myself.

This will make it easier to get onto the DLR from Croydon. *Until now
it's been very slow, via Lewisham, on either the 75, or Tramlink to
Elmers end, and then train. *The East London still takes quite a time
to get to Shadwell, but at least the journey to most DLR destinations
will be shorter from there than from Lewisham.

33 mins or so from West Croydon to Shadwell - depends what you think
of as "quite a time" I s'pose. Of course the eastern end of the DLR is
easily accessible via a very easy interchange off the ELL onto the
Jubilee line at Canada Water (but see below), then a further v. easy
interchange at Canning Town. (The tube/DLR interchange at Canary
Wharf/ Heron Quays isn't quite so seamless.)

Of course that's not a new journey opportunity as such - it was
available under the old ELL (via a change at New Cross Gate) - but the
through service does make it so much easier.

Quick note re the Canada Water - the interchange is easy, but at peak
times the Jubilee line is sardines, so commuters might find the
Shadwell option more realistic (esp. now that Bank to Lewisham DLR
trains are becoming 3-cars long).