Old May 23rd 10, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Crystal Palace station

wrote:
On 21 May, 17:48, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Not at all likely as [IIRC from discussions in uk.railway] current
mainline stock door controls only allow opening on one side.

Why would that be the case' I'm not saying that it isn't? At some
busy locations having separate entrance and exit platforms on opposite
sides, and opening the exit doors first seems like a good idea, though
it seems unlikely that they would want to do it here. Isn't this what
they're doing on the Central Line at Stratford?

As I've mentioned in another post tonight I think it's more to do with the
staff not being able to safely check the doors on both sides prior to
departure - but I'm basically going by previous posts that reckon modern
stock doesn't allow more than one door control panel to be used at the same
time. I guess LU must have much better CCTV - just how many doors are there
are on both sides of a Central Line train?

Climbing up the stairs to the footbridge to the footbridge from the
recently re-built cebtre platform I'm rather puzzled. I'm pretty sure
that there used to be two tracks between what is now platform 6, and
the recently disused platform, and I think the new centre platform has
been built wider than the old one was, though I never saw the old
one. I can't quite make out what the old arrangement was.

I never saw the central platform arrangements, although I've seen photos of
the more recent wide open space with a couple of sidings in the middle, but
as the tracks go through the main building there seem to be faces on both
sides of the single through track. Might these platform faces have continued
so that the two through tracks had double faces, and there were two bays in
the centre? There's bound to be someone along soon with the facts...

..... This if fact seems to be a steep slope,
about as steep as a staircase, but with no steps, just strips of woo
fixed across it, and it doesn't go right down to the platform, only
about half way. Was this the old staircase, cut back at some time, or
something else? I'm pretty sure that there were some rooms on the
short stub of the old centre platform which used to be there under the
bridge,so staff must have had access to them somehow.

Is that stub of the stairs which would have gone down in line with the new
platform 5 tracks? They appear to have been cut off at some time to allow
for a traction supplies building to be built on the disused platform end.
It's right in front as you emerge into the main shed from platform 2.

Does the photo here help?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dolly_d...7594122920191/

Paul S