Old May 24th 10, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default Extended East London Line opens fully today

On 24 May, 12:14, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

Good news. It's the physical manifestation of some outlandish plans,
in fact. But I think it'll genuinely serve a purpose, and will quickly
become a routine part of London's transport infrastructure - indeed,
half of it already was, but the annexation of the defunct alignment
into Broad Street (defunct no longer) really means the old ELL route
can realise some of its until now unexploited potential.

Not everyone's happy, it seems:

Is this just the fag end of some dispute the RMT were having about whether
it should be tube or rail, from about 5/6 years ago?

Paul S

There was an RMT campaign, although not a dispute as far as I know,
about the fact that this was the first bit of LU to be privatised and
had ominous implications. Ken claimed that it wasn't privatisation,
and then admitted that it was.

Among the issues were that a lot had been spent by LU on new
facilities that were never going to be used by LU and were a gift to
the private operator.

I think there were also issues around redeployment of staff in the
interim, but again I can't recall there being an actual dispute.