Old May 24th 10, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Guy Gorton[_2_] Guy Gorton[_2_] is offline

Default Updated TfL Real Time Web Page

On Mon, 24 May 2010 04:41:52 -0700 (PDT), Neil Williams
wrote:

On 24 May, 13:36, MIG wrote:

Is it just my screen, or is the whole map invisible apart from the
closed bits?

It's a very light shade of grey - could do with being made slightly
darker IMO.

The other thing they need to do is to design their website correctly
such that it is not fixed-width, particularly given the tendency
towards widescreen displays these days.

Neil

I have been faced with the screen width problem very recently due to
my monitor giving up suddenly. Obtaining a 1024x768 minitor is almost
impossible and many of the widescreen ones have a very limited height.
It also made me look at my website through semi-widescreen eyes and
getting others on photographic ngs to give me feed back.
My pages had no constraints on width so that some of the text became
one exceedingly long line, or two very long lines. They look awful.
Also relationship between pictures and text was sometimes destroyed.
I noticed that many professional websites, including the BBC,
constrain at least part of the site to 1024x768 proportions. ebay
does the same for heading pages but then lets them float further down
the pages.
Another problem was that some of my pages have thumbnails which lead
to full-screen images - full screen on 1024x768. On a widescreen
monitor, the image is much reduced in size and appears top left!
As if it isn't hard enough to make your site look good on IE (which
does not conform to industry standards) and other better browsers!
I have done quite a lot of work on my site because of these problems,
but it is very difficult to determine how successfully.
FWIW my new monitor is 1280x1024.

Guy Gorton