Old May 25th 10, 07:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Ivor The Engine Ivor The Engine is offline

Default Eurostar and Stratford International

On Tue, 25 May 2010 11:10:00 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

Being boring, my (slightly more serious) take is that many Londoners
were keen on the idea of it during the bidding phase, but as time has
past a significant number have gone somewhat colder on it all.

I don't doubt that at all. As someone living in Manchester in the run
up to the 2002 Commonwealth Games (and two previous failed Olympic
bids, one of which generated enough cash for the carbunk^H^H^arena
above Victoria Station) I don't think many locals really cared about
what was happening during the development years. But as the stadium
took shape and the city changed character, people really began to take
it on board.

It was much smaller in scale and in a much smaller city but I reckon
come 2012 the attitudes will swing back in London. Great atmosphere
and something from the legacy - though how much regeneration that was
promised in the Eastlands area actually happened as a result of the
Games is debatable.