Old May 27th 10, 04:02 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
allantracy allantracy is offline

Default "Crossrail budget may be slashed by a third"

No way will they worry about that! The idea will be to cut as much as
possible while still allowing Boris to claim that the project has been
saved thanks to his lobbying, and thus allow him to be reelected.
Doesn't matter if problems emerge in the 2020s, or even on completion:
Cameron can simply point out to Boris that by that stage, "I'll be
gone, you'll be gone".

Ideas are luxuries the politicians can no longer afford, the 1.4
trillion pound deficit in the public finances is now the only idea
left on the table.

The six billion in spending cuts announced this week, that’s already
got us all scratching our heads, is only the start.

Just think on this, over the next two to three years, and probably
this year as well, it’s going to have to be nearer twenty to thirty
billion a year in public sector spending cuts.

Over in Ireland, they’ve already reached the point of closure
proposals. Lets’ just hope that here in the UK we get to hang on to
what we’ve got.

If the railways come through this completely unscathed we should
consider that to be a bonus.