Old May 29th 10, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Whither the new Piccadilly Line trains?

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

"Recliner" wrote in message
I know Tube Lines were supposed to be close to ordering new trains to
replace the 1973 stock, but I wonder what the status is now. With
Tube Lines being absorbed by TfL, and a government freeze on any new
mainline train orders, would it be fair to assume that this
replacement Tube fleet won't be ordered for some years?

If so, what will need to be done to keep the 1973 stock in good
working order? Personally, I like the existing trains (yes, I agree
with Boltar), and wouldn't be unhappy seeing them soldier on for
another ten years, but don't know if there are any developing
mechanical/electrical/safety problems that could prevent this. And
would they need another refurbishment or heavy overhaul programme?

There's a big gap in age between this fleet and the next oldest (once
the A, C, D and 1967 stocks retire over the next few years) --
amazingly, with the demise of the short-lived 1983 stock, the
extended-life 1973 trains will be almost 20 years older than the next
oldest LU fleet on the Central Line.

There will still be the 1972 stock on the Bakerloo, which is not
scheduled to be replaced until after the Piccadilly.

Good point, I'd forgotten about them. But they're actually newer than
the 1973 stock, aren't they?