Old January 19th 04, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jason Jason is offline

Default Oyster cards - free journeys?

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:28:13 +0000 (UTC), james007
wrote:

On central London buses with a separate conductor, I notice that my
OysterCard is visually checked, but that's it. I could only have a
PrePay, and be getting my journey free.

This is why the "record card" system that is supposed to accompany an
Oyster has been such a fiasco. If record cards were issued as a matter
of policy and carrying it was compulsory, this couldn't happen.

On NR journeys from Kings Cross north via Finsbury Park, again, I've
only seen visual checking of OysterCards.

Someone here (Dave Newt?) reported that on the WAGN Liverpool Street -
Chingford line RPIs have Oyster readers.

Therefore I'd assume they'll be appearing on the GN services soon if
WA have them.

It would seem to me that there could be an awful lot of opprtunities for
fraud...

Indeed - people use their Oyster Pre-Pay on buses, and as the reader
says "Valid Throughout" many bus drivers just assume it's a season
ticket with an error and wave people on...

Cheers,

Jason.