Old May 31st 10, 11:14 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
bob[_2_] bob[_2_] is offline

Default Imperial measurements was "Crossrail budget may be slashed bya third"

On 29 May, 06:58, Nobody wrote:
On Fri, 28 May 2010 13:59:30 -0700 (PDT), D7666
wrote:

Ah, the US liquid measurement isn't the same as Imperial.

I stand corrected, but I believe that's why an American quart of booze
is known in Canada as "a fifth" in slang terms.

One American gallon: 3.785 litres

One Imperial gallon: 4.546 litres

The difference stems not from the difference in gallons, but from the
two different definitions of the pint. The Imperial pint is 20 Fl Oz,
while the US pint is only 16. From that basis, the quart and the
gallon are each defined in the same way with respect to their relevant
pints.

Robin