Old June 7th 10, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
dave dave is offline

Default 1928 equipment causing commuter misery at Edgware Road Tube

On Jun 7, 6:22*am, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 22:45:02 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010, David Hansen wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 15:58:44 +0100 someone who may be john wright
wrote this:-

"When there was only one line for the whole of London" What can that
refer to? Neither telephones nor rail lines makes much sense in this
context.

Indeed.

The whole sentence is "At its nerve centre is a signal box first
fitted in 1928 ? a relic from the first days of the network when
there was only one line for the whole of London."

I suspect that it is just bad journalism, mixing up things the
journalist was told. As background the journalist may have been told
that at one time Edgware Road was on the only underground railway
line [1] not just in London but in the world. However, that was a
long time before 1928.

The photograph shows a miniature lever frame box typical of the era,
particularly in London and SE England.

Hang on, so that levery pipe-organ thing the guy in the photo is playing
is from 1928? I assumed the story meant the signal box was built in 1928,
not necessarily that all the equipment in it was still original. But i
know nothing of these things.

Hold on, i've just looked at the link Nick posted. It's not from 1928 -
it's from 1926! Yikes!

The lever frame might be from the 1920s but there has been no
confirmation yet whether the faults lie in there or in the electrical
gubbins elsewhere into which it is plumbed and which could be of
rather more recent origin.

The only other work that has been done is rewiring and the electrical
kit such as relays. Many of these are refurbished by LU REW. Then
there's things like speed control relays that were put in after
Moorgate crash (mostly), but I don't know of any big failures there/

What has failed a fair few times is the new electric points at Praed
Street!