Old June 8th 10, 10:10 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Senior Pass acceptance

On 07/06/2010 22:27, Ivor Jones wrote:
On 07/06/10 21:41, Brian Robertson wrote:
Graham Harrison wrote:
I don't use my Senior Pass a lot (we don't have that many buses round
here in rural Somerset) but when I do I get issued with a ticket. I
was in London at the weekend and the drivers there were happy to have
me simply show it to them - didn't even have to place it on the
Oyster reader. Was that correct? How do London organise the
funding?

Oh God, you'll start that old nutter from Preston off!

Anyway, it runs like this in Manchester at least. In the south of Greater
Manchester Stagecoach issue a ticket. In the north, First don't. The
operators seem to have an agrement with the PTE where an average fare is
agreed for an average number of passengers using the passes. At no
time do
the drivers of either company have to record a boarding or destination
stage.

In the West Midlands we use the Wayfarer system. On the machine are
buttons for various types of tickets and passes, when a pass holder
boards the driver simply presses the appropriate button. The data from
the machine is downloaded when the bus arrives back in garage and the
appropriate amount is claimed from the PTE (Centro). There is no
requirement (or even means) to issue a ticket.

If anyone is familiar with the Transcend software package, it gives very
detailed analysis/statistics on ticket/pass use.

Ivor

How is information from an Oyster card relayed when you tap in on a bus?
If you are on pay as you go, for example, and change busses, then the
indicator on the second bus already shows that previous fare was
deducted from the first bus.