Old June 9th 10, 11:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Barry Tom Barry is offline

Default Boris on the box

Recliner wrote:
wrote in message

Anyone else see Boris on the local news last night threatening the
protesting motorbikers with not being able to use the bus lanes if
they didn't stop
the protests? While I think the bikers are whinging about nothing
(its only a quid a day FFS) I don't think Boris did himself any
favours whatsoever as he came across as rather petty and vindictive.
I wonder if Cameron might start moving him out to arms length fairly
soon...

Most of the comments to BBC London seemed to favour him -- motorbikes
aren't particular popular, even when they're not protesting about a
measly £1/day parking charge. At least Boris was sober and sensible
when he made his verbal attack; Ken was filmed often enough making
drunken outbursts that were hard to support (eg, anti-semitic).

Care to back up something that looks rather libellous with some actual
facts? Speaking as someone of Jewish descent who voted for Ken three
times I've never taken the anti-Semitic thing as being remotely true*,
rather it's another in a long line in groundless smears from the part of
the political spectrum that shouts 'anti-Semitism!' every time someone
points out obvious facts such as that Israel is run by barking mad
psychopaths.

Actually, anyone wanting film of a drunken Mayor making a fool of
himself is advised to seek out the footage of Boris at last year's City
Hall reception for London Pride (the LGBT festival, not the beer,
although it's possible Boris got confused).

As for the bikers - Boris has previously said there'll be a decision
based on an independent report into the effect of the bus lane trial, so
if he's now changing his mind in favour of making transport policy
decisions based on political patronage to people who please him that's a
retrograde step in my book, and worth noting as a footnote to his real
character.

Tom

* A couple of examples: Nicky Gavron, Ken's long-term deputy Mayor, is
of much the same origins as my Mum, daughter of a German Jewish refugee
mother. He was also mates with the Miliband brothers' father Ralph,
also a Jewish refugee from Europe. Plenty of Marxist Jews around
left-wing London in the old days, of course, so anti-Semitism isn't
really a great position to adopt for ambitious left wing London
politicians. If you want real anti-Semites try the old-school Tory
right, fundamentalist US Christians or the BNP.