Old June 11th 10, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default BAA still making plans to resurrect dead runway

"tim...." wrote in message

All six were built. Only three of them survived (as runways) into the
70's but the others are still there as taxiways.

The third runway ceased to be used in about the late 70s, probably because
it wasn't long enough for modern planes

Not so, it might have been out of regular use but I took off from it in
about 2001 on a flight to Glasgow or Edinburgh, so it was long enough for a
757. I can date this because my job that required regular flights to
Scotland was from early 2000 to early 2003.

Since mentioning this in an earlier post I've done a bit of googling
and I now reckon the former runway 23/05 although regularly closed for long
periods by means of 'notices to airmen' (Notams); it was not reported
permanently closed by BAA until some time after 2003, possibly as late as
2005.

Paul