Old June 11th 10, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default BAA still making plans to resurrect dead runway

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 17:17:45 +0100, Paul Scott
wrote:
"tim...." wrote in message
The third runway ceased to be used in about the late 70s, probably
because it wasn't long enough for modern planes

Not so, it might have been out of regular use but I took off from it in
about 2001 on a flight to Glasgow or Edinburgh, so it was long enough
for a 757. I can date this because my job that required regular flights
Scotland was from early 2000 to early 2003.

FSVO modern. If what I was once told about Oslo's old airport (Fornebu) is
true, 757s were able to operate from shorter runways than the Tridents
they replaced. So the 757s may have been one of relatively few jet types
that would fit on Heathrow's short runway, and Tridents may not have been.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.