Old June 15th 10, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Salmon[_4_] John Salmon[_4_] is offline

Default Terminating in a through platform then returning "wrong direction"

"dB" wrote
wrote:

Are there ever occasions during planned or unplanned service
disruption where an LU train heading say "eastbound" will require to
finish its journey in the "eastbound" platform of a two-platform
station, pick-up intending "westbound" passengers for the next
departure whilst still on the "eastbound" platform then head
"westbound" on the "eastbound" line in order to access a crossover to
the "westbound" line?

I've seen it happen a couple of times at Northolt on the Central line,
where a westbound train is reversed without going into the siding. I don't
know why they don't do it more often, as it does speed up the process.

Interesting. I've never done this move at Northolt (or Oakwood, or
Hornchurch) but I think I've done just about all the others mentioned in
this thread. Anyone interested in traversing rare crossovers - both on LU
and on the national network - needs to read my weekly 'PMO' report on the
Gensheet Yahoo! Group.

Royal Victoria crossover (DLR) was used last weekend, I think for the first
planned time, by DLR trains reversing at Custom House.