Old June 17th 10, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default London Assembly Tories propose driverless Tube trains

On 17 June, 11:32, Paul wrote:
On 17 June, 11:00, "Ian F." wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message

I suspect Bob Crow's analysis - that this is a bit of kite-flying - is
probably on the money.

How could we ever have driverless trains? There'd be no one to shut the
doors at Kennington just as you're rushing to change trains from the Bank to
Charing Cross platform.

Ian

Or at Finsbury Park when you want to change from the Piccadilly line
to the Victoria line. Mind you I am sure that the line controllers
could achieve the same with judicious use of CCTV cameras.

Bottom line is, you can't very well have staffless (which is what it
really means) trains without platform edge doors, although I am not
entirely certain of their efficacy.

An anorak string with a large bobble, of the kind that got a boy
killed in the Piccadilly a few years ago, might be able to get trapped
between both the train doors and the platform doors without detection,
although a person would presumably just be slammed into the latter
rather than dragged under the train.