Old June 20th 10, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Which is cheaper oyster or paper ticket for 1 peak and 1 off peak

On Jun 20, 2:48*pm, wrote:

In article
,
(GSV 3 minds in a can) wrote:

My journey involves starting at 9:30am from Pinner and going to Forest
Hill. This is off peak.
I used to use southern from London bridge but now the East London line
as opened I can interchange at canada water.

I buy a YP discounted travel card for 5.00 PAPER TICKET
I return during the evening peak, for which my paper ticket is still
valid.

I have oyster PAYG which also has my YP card on it.

How would the cap work, if I make 2 journeys 1 off peak, and the other
peak, if I used my oyster card.

Oyster would be more convenient as I dont have to queue.

If your first journey starts after 09:30 the off-peak cap applies, surely?

Yes. See my (possibly over-comprehensive?) answer.

The important thing to note is that in the Oyster world there are two
definitions of peak and off-peak...

* that which applies to capping - in this case, on weekdays off-peak
runs from 09:30 to 04:29 the next day. This is basically the same as
the Day Travelcards peak/ off-peak period [1].

* that which applies to single PAYG fares - in this case, on weekdays
peak fares apply from 06:30 to 09:30 and from 16:00 to 19:00.
(Therefore a peak PAYG fare can still contribute towards an off-peak
cap - which might sound confusing, but it's far better it happens that
way than not!)

-----
[1] Day Travelcards do have a slightly different period of validity to
daily price capping - the price capping regime applies to the 24 hour
period between 04:30 and 04:29 the next day, whilst Day Travelcards
are valid from midnight on the date they're issued for until 04:29 the
next day. I've just about been on the ball enough to take advantage of
this a few times in the past (when I knew I'd be out late the next
night).