Old June 22nd 10, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default Cycle hire

wrote on 22 June 2010
22:56:22 ...
On 22/06/2010 21:41, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:35:19 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

The Mayor's new cycle hire station at the east end of Southwark Street
looks complete, if anyone's interested.

And TfL leaflets about the hire scheme have started to appear in tube
station leaflet racks. I picked one up this morning.

They have/had something like that in Copenhagen, which I saw. The
bicycles were not in a good way, I might note.

Didn't they have a scheme like that in Paris, and the bicycles simply
disappeared?

The scheme is still running and is highly popular. It now has 20,000
bikes and 1639 stations, roughly one station every 300 metres throughout
the city centre, making Vélib’ the largest system of its kind in the
world. (according to Wikipedia)

Admittedly there has been much more theft and vandalism of the bikes
than originally expected.
--
Richard J.