Old June 24th 10, 08:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Chris Tolley[_2_] Chris  Tolley[_2_] is offline

Default Massive Disruption at Paddington

tony sayer wrote:

In article , Chris Tolley
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

In article , Chris Tolley
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

In article , Denis McMahon
scribeth thus
On 23/06/10 19:05, SB wrote:
Trains cancelled to Worcester. Trains cancelled to Wales and West
Country. Trains cancelled to Oxford and Bourne End and also to Henley.
All other trains subject to huge delays. Reason = 'signalling
problems' in the West Drayton area from last night = 'vandalism' in
the Iver area = Pikeys cut the signal cables to burn off the plastic
and sell the copper. SB

And you know it was "Pikeys" (whatever they are) how exactly?

Ask anyone who has to clear up from these like BT, Arquiva the
transmission sites contractor, Any UK power distribution company, anyone
who works on church roof's they'll tell you that in no uncertain terms.!

Well if you ask me (since the lead on one of my Churches was nicked some
time back), then all I'd say is that someone nicked it. I can't see why
you'd anticipate some prejudiced speculation about their identity.

Your too forgiving Chris. Perhaps if you worked for the organisations
mentioned you'd se it differently;!..

I don't understand the comment. It doesn't have anything to do with
forgiveness. You've got to know who it is before you can consider the
forgiveness aspect. My previous comment is only indicating a belief that
it's silly to just pick some random target out of the air to attack when
something happens.

You seem to me to be a bit on the naive side Chris. These aren't people
who might just be "tempted" this is a known organised deliberate theft
plain and simple.

Well, of course it is organised. The lead is too far off the ground to
reach without some planning ahead. But I think that the only people who
are ruled out as potential suspects are those who are too infirm or too
scared to climb a ladder.

Mind you if you want to be smacked on both cheeks then don't let me stop
U....

Well, what happened was we replaced the lead, and it was promptly nicked
again. Then we got involved with a long debate about whether we had to
replace it with lead or could use some other material (Church has listed
building status). The debate rumbles on. There isn't really time or
energy to waste worrying over who did it, or whether the second theft
was connected to the first. Too many other things to do.

Well if someone doesn't do something it will happen time and time again
and again. And your church will become too expensive to insure if it
isn't already!.

The incidence of lead thefts in the area fell dramatically with the
crash in metal prices during the recession. we're more exercised by
graffiti at present.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632858.html
(33 056 and 33 034 at Reading, Jul 1985)