Old June 28th 10, 04:29 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Paul Rigg[_4_] Paul Rigg[_4_] is offline

Default Metropolitan Main Line Question

In the early 70s

As far as I can remember the BR trains stopped at Moor Park Rickmansworth
and Chorley Wood only during off peak times.
They never stopped at Northwood, Pinner etc as they were on the slow lines
and BR did not use those. I think the section was quadrupled around 1961,
co-inciding with the introduction of the A stock, electrification
Rickmansworth - Amersham and withdrawl of the dreadnought stock and most of
the locos.

During the peak they were none stop from Harrow to Chalfont and Latimer.

And on Sunday BR ran an hourly shuttle from Amersham to Aylesbury and if
you were going to London you had to change and go to Baker Street.