Old June 30th 10, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MaxB MaxB is offline

Default Thing at Herne Hill

On the new siding, adjacent to Platform1, I noticed a small, unpainted
box about 8" square next to one of the running rails. My first thought
was that it was a detonator placer as it had 2 prongs sticking out to
touch the rail, just below rail head height. I assume they would be
depressed if a wheel ran over them.

The box is immediately below the 4 car stop, so would normally only be
activated by a longer train. Can anyone tell me what it is/does?

Incidentally, do they still use detonator placers?

MaxB