Old July 1st 10, 03:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] davidmetzger0@gmail.com is offline

Default LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jun 30, 5:27*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 30, 10:06*pm, "

wrote:
On Jun 30, 5:00*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 30, 9:35*pm, "
wrote:

*i priced it at 2.40 for the tube 3.00 for the train well under the 10
usd i budgeted

Now I understand what you're planning on doing - i.e. heading to
Tilbury for a boat, rather than staying there - I can see where you're
coming from here (metaphorically speaking, of course - I know you're
actually coming from NYC!).

Yes, an off-peak Tube journey (that's after 09:30 but before 16:00
weekdays) from Heathrow to either Tower Hill (for Fenchurch St) or
Upminster would indeed currently cost GBP2.40 (that's a zones 1-6
journey).

As you say, a single from Upminster to Tilbury is GBP3.00 - from
Fenchurch Street it would cost more than double, at GBP6.20. So by
staying on the Underground all the way to Upminster, you would indeed
save money (you'd pay for zones 6 to 1 regardless, so going out the
other side of z1 back to z6 - i.e. Upminster - is already paid for, as
it were). The quid-pro-quo is that the journey on the District line
takes a bit longer. But you also get a bit of local east London
flavour this way!

Must admit I simply hadn't considered staying on the District out to
Upminster - but actually it works out quite well.

time is no object as i have 6 hours from 930 am to board the ship

OK, well that's no problem then. The time penalty isn't that great -
Fenchurch Street to Upminster by c2c train takes 24 mins, whilst on
the District the journey from Tower Hill to Upminster takes between 45
and 50 mins (so says the TfL journey planner).

I suppose if you've got 6 hours you could go via a zone 1 avoiding
route if you wanted some adventure - essentially it'd have to be via
the North London Line. There'd be quite a bit of changing - a minimum
of 5 changes, I reckon - so it ain't straightforward. (One could walk
between Earl's Court and West Brompton - not far - or even from Acton
Town to South Acton - the latter being a bit more involved.) So it's
not really a route I'd recommend!

One quick last point - fares will go up in January 2011, so don't be
surprised if it costs a little bit more by summer next year!

i figured even with a 10% rise it will be good