Old July 3rd 10, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Barry Tom Barry is offline

Default Traffic light removal

Basil Jet wrote:

Repeating myself Ken & Chel seem to be against all control of traffic.
I couldn't get them to accept that the Appleford Road / Adair Road
crossroads having no give way signs or lines on any of the four
approaches was a bad idea.

That's what being a one-party state gets you, they go a bit cuckoo after
a while. In this case it's probably not unconnected to the ideas put
about by Daniel Moylan and his boss Sir Merrick Cockell, who's just
picked up a 'K' for basically sitting around on an unassailable majority
talking crap for years. I think K&C are the chaps with the
ratepayer-funded Bentley, too. Ah, yes:

http://kensingtonandchelsealibdems.o...t_auditor.html

They're the main guys behind the 'shared space' nonsense*, where they
seem to think a roundabout in a small town in Holland is the model for
London streetscapes, neglecting other more beneficial aspects of Dutch
life such as proper cycle facilities and trams. All of which wouldn't
matter unless, oo, Moylan was the defacto Chairman of TfL and had
recently popped up heading a group vetting every streetscape plan TfL
are undertaking. Which he is.

Tom

* If you want to see this in action, visit New Road in Brighton, where
it's working marvellously, mainly because all the drivers think it's
pedestrianised and avoid it, I saw two cars in twenty minutes. Can
anyone see the flaw in applying this principle generally to a whole area?