Old July 4th 10, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Chris Read Chris Read is offline

Default Taxis and the congestion charge

"Mike Hughes" wrote:

Chris Read writes:

It is demonstrably the case that 'black' cabs contribute significantly to
congestion within central London.

Is it demonstrable? What facts and figures do you have to support this
statement?

It is demonstrable. Bear in mind my comments are restricted to the
congestion charge zone. There are many causes of congestion within this
area, but a journey down Strand in the day time normally reveals that there
are more taxis than any other type of vehicle in the queue in advance of
Trafalgar Square. Mostly either empty or carrying one passenger, I might
add.

Buses, with their far more frequent stopping and starting cause far more
problems.

Buses are public transport, and the volumes of people they move in central
London means they occupy road space more efficiently than taxis or private
cars.

On the very few occasions that buses have gone on strike the traffic
actually flowed far more freely.

Of course, the presence of buses causes delay to taxis and private cars. Are
you suggesting the transport system of central London should be designed
primarily for the benefit of taxis/private cars?

Therefore, why are they exempt from the congestion charge?

The Congestion charge is actually included (albeit at the reduced rate) in
our annual vehicle licence fee. In any case the charge is only levied once
per day - and that only for the times it is operation.

As I work nights and weekends, should I be getting a refund?

If you only worked nights and weekends, you would pay no CC under my
proposal. I would be happy to see the vehicle licence fee reduced
accordingly. This might have the added benefit of encouraging more taxis out
at times when public transport is more sparse - eg overnight, Sunday etc.
For clarity, my belief is that taxis should be liable for the CC at the same
rate, at the same times, and on the same terms as private cars.

I know taxi
drivers have lots of votes in marginal constituencies such as Ilford
North,
Eltham and Finchley, but other than this political consideration, were
there
any *good* reasons for excluding taxis from the CC?

Vehicles entering and leaving the congestion charge zone, other than just
passing through are often parked, contributing to the congestion. If the
driver is unable to find a parking space they will drive around looking
for one, causing further congestion. With a taxi the driver stays with the
vehicle and when the passenger has completed the journey the vehicle is
then free for the use of another passenger. Without taxis there would be a
larger number of private vehicles in the area.

There would be some more private vehicles, although equally some traffic
would switch to buses/Tube. In any event, nowhere did I suggest that taxis
be banned from the CC area, I simply believe they - as business people
driving in central London and creating congestion - should be charged the CC
on the same terms as other business people driving in central London.

Buses just don't go to all the directions that some passenger require and
certainly not with one start and stop.

The bus network is pretty comprehensive, but I agree taxis can be more
convenient if in a hurry or cost is no object. That's why I didn't suggest
taxis be banned from the CC area, just, effectively, made more expensive for
users.

The cost to taxi drivers could surely have been offset by increasing the
meter rate, which those with expense accounts who form the majority of
black
cab clientele would hardly notice or care about.

You really don't know the total mix of customers do you? What about the
old age pensioner or the sick and disabled who use taxis as there is no
other easily accessible form of affordable transport? Are you going to
penalise them? Or are you going to increase the number of people getting
the taxicard subsidy and increase the value they are entitled to? What are
you going to do for those in wheelchairs - punish them with an increase in
taxi fares just because they can't get on a bus?

All London buses are accessible for wheelchair users, in theory if not in
practice. In general, accessibility of public transport for the disabled
(most disabled people are not, of course, wheelcair-bound) has improved
greatly in the last decade. Pensioners will be benefitting, over the years
to come, from higher state pensions - as announced in the Budget - re-linked
to earnings. This at a time when workers are being laid off and pay cut. So
no, I am not troubled with pensioners who use taxis being asked to pay a
little more. There may be a case for looking at those (of any age group) who
have regular hospital appointments for chronic conditions, and cannot use
public transport - these people should be supported in their travel
requirements in the best way possible.

If economic circumstances are going to force cuts in the bus network,
and/or
dramatic fare increases, isn't it time to look at this again?

If the bus network is cut you want more taxis to meet any increase in
demand and you certainly don't want to penalise the displaced bus
passengers by adding more to the fare.

The number of people who can afford - under *existing* fares - to switch
from bus to taxi is miniscule. Many bus users are not on trains/Tube because
the extra pound or so is outside their budget.

In any case, during the daytime it can be cheaper for 4 or 5 passengers
travelling a short distance to take a taxi rather that a bus or tube.

Five Oyster PAYG bus fares are £6. It would have to be a very short journey
to make a taxi cheaper. I do Ludgate Circus - London Bridge occasionally by
taxi - during M-F day rates - and it's rarely less than £10 with a small tip
(which bus drivers don't expect), so I guess £6 might get you to Cannon
Street station/Monument on a good day, which is hardly an epic journey. And
yes, on these occasions, I would generally have been willing to pay £12
rather than £10, either because someone else will be paying the bill, or
because it's a rare luxury for me. In general, those who can afford to pay
£10 a day for taxi travel, out of their own or someone elses pocket, will be
able to find £12.

Chris