Old July 4th 10, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default Traffic light removal

Basil Jet wrote on 04 July 2010
14:44:51 ...
On 04/07/2010 10:25, Richard J. wrote:
Basil wrote on 04 July 2010
05:14:29 ...
On 03/07/2010 22:46, Tom Barry wrote:

They're the main guys behind the 'shared space' nonsense*

* If you want to see this in action, visit New Road in Brighton, where
it's working marvellously, mainly because all the drivers think it's
pedestrianised and avoid it, I saw two cars in twenty minutes.

Even the Google Streetview car wouldn't go down it!

There are "no motor vehicles" signs at the North Street end.

Of course, it's one way.

Who says, apart from Google Maps? The sign implies that cycles and
horse-drawn traffic are allowed to enter from North Street. At the
other end (Church Street), there are no one-way signs, but the double
yellow line on Church Street goes straight across the entrance to New
Road, implying that New Road isn't a public carriageway at all. Yet
there are Restricted Zone signs that prohibit parking except for the
disabled. I'm not surprised that drivers avoid it.
--
Richard J.