Old July 8th 10, 01:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default Paddington barriers again

On 8 July, 13:58, Neil Williams wrote:
On 8 July, 13:42, Mizter T wrote:

CTA? (Common ticketed area?)

Compulsory ticket area.

I *think* you're suggesting that the entire overbridge should be
barriered, right? Or not barriered - it's not quite clear to me. (I
don't quite understand the "*might*" reference w.r.t. access to the
main platforms.)

I'm saying the whole overbridge should be within a common barriered
area containing both LUL and the mainline. *To achieve this, it would
I guess be necessary to have a smaller barriered area around the
access to the stairs on the HEx platforms and platform 1. *There would
then be no barriers on the bridge itself to get in the way of a very
large passenger flow.

(I suspect, like other things, this was not an issue prior to the
teacup).

Gating the entire overbridge would bring its own set of issues - the
overbridge is used as a route to and from the exit at the north side
of the station (towards the canal basin and Harrow Rd beyond).

How do you get there? *Is it from Platform 1, which would remain
unbarriered? *I can't recall seeing any other exits.

The exit is to the north east, from the top of platforms 8 and 9,
where the bridge takes a bend between spans 3 and 4, the exit goes
straight on(ish). It comes out by the canal and ultimately leads to
Bishop's Bridge Road. It is one of the reasons that there has to be a
barrier on the bridge, if barriers are used, as the pathway is
currently rather narrow.

Regardless, the situation sounds rather less than ideal. (Long term,
as part of Crossrail, the LU H&C/ lasso line platforms are to get a
new entrance which should help matters - must admit I'm not up on the
details of this though.)

That is certainly necessary - my experiences over the past few weeks
would suggest that the issue on that platform is so bad that the
Circle should be reverted until *after* another entrance (or at least
a second set of temporary stairs from the overbridge to the LUL
platforms) can be constructed.

Neil