Old July 8th 10, 01:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
M J Forbes M J Forbes is offline

Default Paddington barriers again

Seems to me that the bridge connecting 13/14 at Paddington to the H&C/
Circle platforms has always been a nightmare. About 10 years ago, I
was living in Ealing, working in Basingstoke, and commuting daily at a
few mins before 6 (Ealing Broadway/West Ealing to Padd, then HST to
Reading, and then to Basingstoke). Even at this time of the morning,
there were plenty of other passengers spilling off my train and the
H&C, heading for the 06:30 to Bristol, which was invariably on
Platform 1. Heading home in the late afternoon/evening, the situation
was worse.

How on earth Railtrack/NR/LUL allowed this situation to continue
(especially with the more recent H&S interference) is somewhat odd.
Surely, if the "crush-loading" that others have described is
dangerous, then surely things should have been changed?

I fully appreciate that FGW and LU need to protect revenue, but there
*must* be a better way to go about it - and if we need to wait for the
redevelopment that's associated with Crossrail, then I can envisage
something awful occurring in the meantime.