Old January 21st 04, 12:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default oyster season extensions

In message , Rupert Goodwins
writes
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:39:58 +0000, Dave Newt
wrote:

spammy wrote:

just wondering if i have this right.

i have a 1-4 season ticket. i am in zone 1 at the moment. from here i wish
to go to heathrow today (zone 6). i then wish to travel from there to
walthamstow (zone 3).

assuming i credit my oyster with 10 quid, will these two journeys cost me
1.30 each? and i wont have to do anything but scan my oyster on entry in
zone 1, exit at heathrow, entry at heathrow, and exit at walthamstow?

That's the idea, yep.

I went down to South Wimbledon over the weekend on my Z12 annual
Oyster. Bought a £1 extension at the ticket office in Zone 2, but
thought I'd buy the extension on the way back via the machine.

Touched the Oyster to the machine, picked the appropriate choice,
didn't have a pound in change but did have a two quiid coin. Put it
in... and then things went a bit weird.

First, I was expecting to be able to tell it how much to credit the
card with - but no, it assumed that I wanted to put the whole two quid
on. Hm. But still, never mind, I'll be able to use the extra quid next
time I go out of zone.

I touched the card to the gate and it displayed (£2:00) (including the
brackets). I got out at Tottenham Court Road, and it deducted £1.60
from the card - I now have 40p left.

So, questions: why didn't it just remove the £1 needed to do the one
zone, and is there a way to coax change from the machines if I don't
want it to shove everything on the card?

I don't know the answer to the first part of your question but I have
noticed that Oysters sometimes get mixed up with *border* stations.
As for the second, I'm afraid not; you have to have the exact change if
you don't want the whole lot on the Oyster. I know this is a nuisance;
it also results in us having to give more complicated explanations to
people wanting a simple extension ticket too. (If that's any
consolation)
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.