Old July 8th 10, 09:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Duncan Duncan is offline

Default Paddington barriers again

In article 6f1f7d2d-2fde-4d01-97e6-
, says...
That is certainly necessary - my experiences over the past few weeks
would suggest that the issue on that platform is so bad that the
Circle should be reverted until *after* another entrance (or at least
a second set of temporary stairs from the overbridge to the LUL
platforms) can be constructed.

Must admit that I was a bit surprised when the Teacup/ Lasso
(whatever!) went ahead without there being any changes at Paddington
H&C platforms - I recall alighting there some time before the changes,
not during the rush-hour either (poss. shoulder-peak), and standing
right at the back of a queue of people waiting to climb the stairs (I
was in no rush) - the number of people hauling luggage up the stairs
(and not holding up for a moment for the non-luggaged folk to go
first) was a significant contributory factor, but even without the
luggage the number of people would have prevented a quick escape. I
spoke to the platform assistant on duty and he said it was always like
that!

I can't see why the Circle line changes should have made any difference
to people exiting at Paddington. Sure the overall numbers arriving per
hour will have increased, but has the number of passengers exiting per
train really changed?

Most people joining at stations like King's Cross heading to Paddington
got on the first service regardless of whether it was a Hammersmith &
City or Circle service. Therefore I would have expected the pinch point
on the stairs following the arrival of a service to be the same now as
before the changes.

Duncan